Physical Education Department’s Philosophy
The NIMT School Physical Education & Sports Department believes that the unique learning opportunities of physical education should allow all students to build acquire the knowledge, skills, positive attitude and personality which will enhance their quality of life through active living a way of life that values physical activity as an essential component. In keeping with this philosophy, the goals of the program reflect the three areas of human development: the psycho-motor, the cognitive and the affective. Combined, these goals with highest interest of NIMT school’s PE department will strive to focus on inclusive, well balanced high quality physical education program for students.
Aims of PE Department
- To identify the needs of the individual student and provide challenging, stimulating and innovative learning environment within and beyond the PE curriculum.
- To provide a supportive learning environment which is low in stress and high in challenge.
- To encourage and develop quality and excellence using appropriately set targets which realise potential.
- To help students develop their personal qualities like discipline, leadership and sportsmanship to enable them to maximise their sporting potential and be transferable to other areas of their education and life.
- To provide appropriate enrichment activities that develops their experience and knowledge of physical activity.
- Above all to provide students with exit routes to further development of their sporting talents.
PE and Sports facilities
The School campus has world class facilities for indoor and outdoor sports. The students are encouraged and motivated to take up sports and physical activities and are trained by qualified experts in the field. In addition we ensure that our students not only reapthe benefits of exercise in their formative years but also have fun doing so. The sports department plans to organize inter-house sports tournaments and activities to foster healthy competition and team spirit to help the student to improve the quality of their game.
Attendance/participation is necessary for successful completion of class requirement. If a student is unable, due to injury or illness, to participate in physical education class we ask that a note from a parent / guardian or medical doctor be provided detailing the nature of illness or injury. If student found skipping class will suffer the same consequence of skipping any other class. Principal and parents will be contacted if student is continually late or absent for the PE and sports class.
Elementary school student’s assessment in PE is based upon the following categories:
- Sportsmanship/Group cooperation.
- Ability to follow instruction and safety rules.
- Individual effort to improve skill performance
- Skill based assessment program.
Secondary School student’s assessment in PE is based upon the following categories:
- Participation(50%): Student will be able to earn possible 10 points per day towards their participation grade that includes positive active participation, sportsmanship, punctuality. Getting late to class beyond 10 minutes can lead to deduction of 5 points.
- Physical fitness(10%): Student will be assessed in five area of fitness by using standardized tests for following fitness components:
- Pull ups/flexed arm hang
- Sit ups
- Shuttle run
- 8-minute run
- Skills and knowledge(40%): Students are expected to demonstrate appropriate levels of skill and knowledge of specific sports or activity. Assessment may include skill checklist, written tests, teacher observation, peer observation and self assessment. Appropriate skill and knowledge expectation are based on sports skill progression for sport/PE activity respective to grade/ age.